- About Us
Valentine’s Day will be here in just two short weeks. Will your pet be celebrating alongside you and your special someone? Make sure they stay safe! Below, your Tipp City, OH veterinarian tells you about some common Valentine’s Day pet hazards and how to have your companion avoid them.
Chocolate, of course, is a big pet no-no and is quite common around Valentine’s Day. All types—dark, milk, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.—contain harmful chemicals that don’t agree with pets. Candy and other sweets are often sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar that can poison pets in small amounts. It’s essential that you don’t let your pet near your holiday treats!
If you’re cooking dinner for you and your partner, remember that there are all kinds of human foods that pets shouldn’t have. The list includes garlic, onions, chives, leeks, scallions, shallots, grapes and raisins, avocado, certain nuts, salty foods, fatty items, caffeinated foods and beverages, and much more. To be safe, keep your pet elsewhere while preparing the meal and sitting down to dinner.
If your Valentine’s Day festivities will include alcoholic beverages, it’s important to keep your pet’s well-being in mind. Alcohol of all sorts—wine, liquor, beer, champagne, even certain foods made with alcohol—can poison our pets! It doesn’t take much to cause harm. Don’t leave your drinks unattended where pets may be able to imbibe.
Various types of lily flowers, common this time of year in bouquets and floral arrangements, are a known pet toxin. They’re especially hazardous for our feline friends, but may harm dogs as well. Check through any floral gifts you’ve received to make sure it doesn’t contain anything harmful.
Roses aren’t toxic, necessarily, but the sharp thorns found on unclipped rose stems can puncture a pet’s paw pads or the intestinal lining when swallowed. It’s safest to keep these flowers somewhere that pets can’t reach.
Plan on lighting a few candles to ramp up the romantic atmosphere? Make sure they’re placed carefully in an area where your pet can’t access. It’s very easy for an unsuspecting pet to swipe a tail through an open flame, potentially causing burns or startling your pet into knocking over the candle. Disaster could ensue!
Does your pet need veterinary care? We’re here to help. Make an appointment with your Tipp City, OH animal hospital.